Famous quotes

"Happiness can be defined, in part at least, as the fruit of the desire and ability to sacrifice what we want now for what we want eventually" - Stephen Covey

Saturday, August 03, 2013

Blue Valentine : My favorite scene.

I knew that Blue Valentine had an Academy award nomination but never got around to seeing it. After seeing "The Notebook" a few months ago I thought i got to watch more Ryan Gosling movies. Eventhough I was terribly disappointed with the drab script of Ides of March.I thought Blue Valentine being a romantic movie should be where Ryan feels at home. The movie did not disappoint. If "The Notebook" was about the development of a relationship. This movie describes the slow disintegration of a relationship. Wonderful work by the Director Derek Cianfrance. This is the most honest movie I have ever seen on a relationship.

Both Ryan and Michelle's performances were enthralling and they really utilized the script to display their full range of acting.I have a favorite scene in the movie which had a conversation between them. The script is reproduced below.
Cindy is Michele's character and Dean is Ryan's.
CINDY
Why don’t you do something...
DEAN
What do you mean?
CINDY
I don’t know.
DEAN
What does that mean? Why don’t I do something?
CINDY
Isn’t there anything you want to do?
DEAN
Like what?
CINDY
I don’t know. You’re so good at so many things, you could do anything you wanted to do, you’re good at everything that you do, isn’t there something else you wanna do?
DEAN
Than what? Than be a husband, to be Frankie’s dad? What do you want me to do? In your dream scenario of me doing what I’m good at, what would that be?
CINDY
I don’t know, you’re so good at so many things, you can do so many things, you have such capacity.
DEAN
For what?
CINDY
You can sing, you can draw, you can dance.
DEAN
Listen I didn’t wanna be somebody’s husband and I didn’t wanna be somebody’s dad. That wasn’t my goal in life. For some guys it is... Wasn’t mine. But somehow, I’ve found what I wanted. I didn’t know that and now it’s all I wanna do... I don’t want to do anything else,
it’s what I want to do. I work so I can do that.
CINDY
I’d like to see you have a job where you didn’t have to start drinking at 8 o’clock in the morning to go to it.
DEAN
No, I have a job that I can drink at 8 o’clock in the morning. What a luxury, you know. I get up for work, I have a beer, I go to work, I paint somebody’s house, they’re excited about it. I come home, I get to be with you. That’s like... this is the dream!
CINDY
It doesn’t ever disappoint you?
DEAN
Why? Why would it disappoint me?
CINDY
Because you have all this potential.
DEAN
So what! Why do you have to make money off your potential?
CINDY
Look, I’m not even saying you have to make money off it. Don’t you miss it?
DEAN
What does potential even mean? What does that mean, potential? Potential for what? To turn it into what?
CINDY
(flustered) You know, we rarely sit down and have an adult conversation. Because every time we do, you take what I say and you turn it around into something that I didn’t mean. You just twist it. Start Blabbing, blah blah blah blah blah.
DEAN
If you're not interested in what I have to say then maybe I just shouldn’t say anything. Cindy laughs.
DEAN (cont’d)
That’s funny, huh? What’s funny about that?
CINDY
Good luck. I’d like to see you think about what you say instead of saying what you think all the time. Good luck, give it a try!
DEAN
What are you doin, you wanna fight me?
CINDY
Yeah I wanna fight you.
Some wonderful writing there coupled with good acting made that scene memorable for me.

No comments: