Famous quotes

"Happiness can be defined, in part at least, as the fruit of the desire and ability to sacrifice what we want now for what we want eventually" - Stephen Covey

Sunday, January 27, 2013

The Death of a Software

I remember vividly how excited i was when I downloaded the free Microsoft Reader Software somewhere around 2006 from Microsoft website.The .LIT Format simply was just too easy to read in a PC and the text to speech engine also enabled for a joyous reading session of any novel. Almost like an audio book.The Microsoft Reader is the closest substitute for me for the huge collection of paperback novels which I used to read in my school vacations.
I was really sad to see this notification in Microsoft Website.
Microsoft has discontinued Microsoft Reader effective August 30,2012 which includes download access and activation of Microsoft reader from the Microsoft Reader website.However, customers may continue to use and access the Microsoft Reader application and any .lit materials on their PCs or devices.New content for purchase from retailers in the .lit format was discontinued on November 8,2011.
Thank God Atleast they are not completely deactivating the software but the very fact that they have decided to discontinue the project is bad for me.I would take .LIT format anyday over the .EPUB format.
I can see that Amazon rules the ebook space but still Microsoft could have made a foray on the same by releasing more books in LIT format with some more exciting speech engines to enhance the reading experience. Why waste a totally good investment in a wonderful software. Hopefully they will come back with a enhanced ebook reader some time in the future. Till then I will miss you Microsoft reader :(.

No comments: