Famous quotes

"Happiness can be defined, in part at least, as the fruit of the desire and ability to sacrifice what we want now for what we want eventually" - Stephen Covey

Monday, December 26, 2022

What is Ethics ?

What is ethics? I knew, but I've forgotten.

"The study of morality.Of the precepts of conduct: of being decorous, noble, decent and honest. Of the heights of goodness, to which probity and morality carry up the human spirit. And of the chasms of evil, into which malice and immorality are flung ..."

'The heights of goodness!' she snorted. 'Probity! Morality! Don't make me laugh, or the scar on my face will burst. You were lucky that you weren't hunted, that they didn't send bounty hunters after you, people like .... You'd see what chasms of evil are. Ethics? Your ethics are worth shit, .... It isn't the evil and indecent who are flung down into the depths, no! Oh, no! The evil and decisive fling down those who are moral, honest and noble but maladroit, hesitant and full of scruples.'

'Thanks for the lesson,' he sneered.'In truth, though one may have lived a century, it is never too late to learn something new. Indeed, it is always worth listening to mature, wordly and inexperienced people.'

'Mock. Go ahead and mock.' She tossed her head.'While you still can.For now it is my turn, now I shall entertain you with a tale.I'll tell you what happened to me.And when I'm done we'll see if you still feel like mocking me.'

No comments: